A Glossary of Interior Decorating and Design Terms

Parsons Interiors Ltd |

A Glossary of Interior Decorating and Design Terms

Every industry has its own language and terms. These words and phrases can be confusing to anyone who is not part of the daily operations of a specific industry, and the interior design industry is no exception.

To help you understand the terms, acronyms, and phrases regularly used in the interior design and decorating industry, Parsons Interiors has created this handy reference guide. Here you’ll find valuable information allowing you to comprehend and communicate your interior decorating or design needs effectively.

Window Treatment.
Window treatments are elements used to “dress” or “cover” a window opening. It is interchangeable with the term “Window Coverings.”

A finial is a metal or wooden decorative or a simple ornament on the top or end of a curtain rod.

Roman Blind.
A roman blind is a window treatment consisting of a length of material which, when drawn up by eyelet-channeled cords, gathers into horizontal folds from the bottom. This form of window shade also provides an uncluttered appearance and can be customized to fit either a contemporary or more traditional interior.

A valance is a decorative window covering that only covers the top portion of a window.

A mullion is a vertical dividing piece placed in an opening, especially a window.

Focal Point.
The focal point refers to an item that draws your attention or creates interest.

Kitchen Work Triangle.
The kitchen work triangle is a guide for positioning the main elements of your kitchen (your sink, stove, and refrigerator).

Contrast is a decorative style that utilizes differing tones, surfaces and/or textures.

It means adding interest to a room through a series of various elements.

A miter is a forty-five-degree angle cut; the point where two diagonally cut pieces meet at right angles or are nailed or glued together.

Hue is another word for colour.

Neutral colours include black, white and grey, and even brown which is a hue, derived from orange. Other colours often referred to as neutrals are beige, tan, and the colored spectrums of off-white.

Accent Colours.
These are contrast colours used to enhance room colour schemes.

A niche is the rounded, half-domed end of a room or a recess in a wall.

Plan Drawing.
A plan drawing is a flat, two-dimensional, scaled drawing of an environment as seen from a bird’s eye view.

If you’re looking for design specialists and consultants in Oakville, ON, reach out to Parsons Interiors. We have been servicing the areas of Mississauga, Oakville, and the GTA since 2005. Our services include colour consultation, kitchen, bathroom design, space planning, home staging, and other interior design or decorating work.

View our full list of services here or get in touch with us here. To have a look at the work we’ve completed, please click here. To read about our customer reviews, please click here.